Translate

Director's Film Comment

A message from the person who inspired this film...
<>
DIRECTOR RORNE TAN'S FINAL JOURNEY...
...In loving memories of Caren Larson Lee and Kelly Randall.
I still remember the last day of last year 2009 when I clicked the “export” button in my laptop after finishing the final edit for “MUSIC BOX”. It was an emotional moment for me at that moment because I knew then it will be the end of MUSIC BOX Project. A project that I had been looking for all my life. With a great story inspired by true events, it couldn’t be a much better and more meaningful project than any project I had undertaken.

In my eyes, I had been seeing the character that I had created, Caren Larson Lee, for 10 months since March 2009 when I started writing the script and when I decided to shoot the scene of her death, it was so real that I really felt that Caren actually died in my life. In that one month of editing this film, I had the luxury of getting close to her. Seeing her in all the scenes only made me feel as if she was still around by my side. I could actually see her in my mind, I could still hear her voice and I could still feel her presence as if she was just beside me. When the final day comes (31st December 2009) after I had re-edited the background music of “MUSIC BOX”, I knew that I have to leave this project and move on to another one. Like in life, I have to move on and only leave memories of her in my heart forever.

However, on the 15th January 2010, I walked out from a conference room belonged to a reputable local film producer with a light heart. After so much hard work and passion into filming “MUSIC BOX”, finally I have a famous producer willing to accept my script and my project to make it into a movie. We are preparing a proposal and will be looking for investors and funders with an estimated cost of 1.5 million to produce this movie. After the producer watched my experimental short film and my presentation, he was so touched by the story and the idea of breaking new ground in our local film industry had promptly made him decide to appoint me as the only Director to direct the film. That meeting was the most memorable meeting in my career as an independent film maker. When I left the meeting and on my way back to my home, I had tears in my eyes. After so long, I never thought the love of this story has brought me a step to a greater success. Of all the failures and set backs I had encountered in making my films, I never thought that it is still “MUSIC BOX” that made an impact and hopefully would help me to achieve my dream of becoming an international class feature film director in the local film industry.

Everyone was right, if MUSIC BOX can touch any hearts, it will change the world and all I have to thank is my cast, crew and fans of MUSIC BOX. Mostly I have to thank Caren Larson Lee, it was really her who made all this possible. After 10 years, her love is still felt, missed and remembered in my heart. I think my executive producer, Cassie Chung, will have tears as we have come a long way. From the success of my first script “The Bloodihood Story” with memories of Cassandra, now we have Caren Larson Lee being a pillar of our strength filled with ocean of love in our hearts.

I will always have Cassandra & Caren in my mind and heart. For Cassie, thanks for being a true friend and supporter of my work and only you can see, understand and appreciate my work and who I am all these years….

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

Luv always,
Director Rorne Tan
Film Maker & Story Teller